As the Libertarian candidate for County Judge of Bexar County, I promise to reduce government intrusion and increase personal liberty as I execute the office of Chairman of Commissioners Court. The County Judge represents ALL of the county, not just a part of it. Commissioners Court oversees all executive and administrative departments of the County Government, it is not a judicial court.
As a Libertarian how would I "run" the County ?
Libertarians believe that ALL Americans should be empowered with "freedom of choice." We believe that taxes and unnecessary regulations restrict your freedom of choice. I promise to work hard to eliminate unnecessary taxes, lower current taxes and eliminate unnecessary regulations. Vigilance and hard work on my part, as your County Judge, will result in an empowered citizenry, able to pursue life, liberty and happiness.
I will do my part and ask that you do yours - VOTE Libertarian !
on Toll Roads and Streetcars
Rhett Rosenquest Smith
Libertarian Candidate for Bexar County Judge
|Mark your Calendars|
Libertarian State Convention
|When: Friday - Sunday, April 11-13|
|Where: Mayhorn Convention Center|
3303 N. 3rd St.
Temple, Texas 76501
Ph: (254) 298.5720 | Fax: (254) 298.5388
Schedule of Events
|Questions: Contact email@example.com|
|You must NOT vote in the Democratic or Republican Primaries|
|to vote in the Libertarian Primary|
Duties of Bexar County Judge
Bexar County Libertarian Party Candidates
As County Judge
- I would stop all diversions of Advanced Transportation Funds ("illegal" diversions for Streetcars). Voters in 2000 DEFEATED "Light Rail". Streetcars run on Rails. Voters were promised in 2004 that the ATD Tax would NOT be used for "Light Rail". Commissioners and the County Judge (Nelson Wolff) have defied the Voters wishes by promoting a "Light Rail" Agenda AND for diverting funds from the ATD Tax to fund it ! I would work to reverse their actions and protect taxpayers from this boondoggle.
- I would investigate the possibility that a Streetcar cannot be built, because the Advanced Transportation District does not specifically state that they can build Streetcars. Nelson Wolff, current County Judge promoted "Light Rail" and apparently, forgot to list "Streetcars" in the statute. I believe promoters of Streetcars need to address the Catch 22 situation, they find themselves in by going to the Legislature next session and adding this option, or by calling an election. Opponents of Streetcars should not be forced to petition for an election. Commissioners need to put this issue on the ballot.
- I would ask for an investigation of VIA for their part in asking opponents of Streetcars at a meeting held on March 6 at Temple Beth El to leave the property (to distribute materials and get petitions signed.) Opponents were told by VIA staff, that Temple Beth El requested that opponents not be allowed to pass out political material on the property. Temple Beth El, Facilities Mgr, claimed that (VIA) not Temple Beth El, requested that opponents not be allowed on the property. I would ask for an investigation of VIA to determine if they violated any laws and furthermore, would ask for a moratorium on all Streetcar contracts until it is determined they are proceeding according to law. I would press for the replacement of VIA Board Members involved in any process that disallows public involvement. Click Here for Open Records Request where VIA denies written contract with Temple Beth El. The contract was requested to determine if Temple Beth El has a policy that disallows "political material" as purported by VIA personnel.
- I would stop Toll Roads by opposing all gas tax diversions.
- I would support a more transparent Commissioners Court, by authoring an ordinance that all Commissioners Court meetings be videotaped and these videos be available to the public, at request.
- I would use Zero Based Budgeting in every County taxing entity and department in Bexar County to lower taxes.
- I would request that ALL surrounding county governments help subsidize the University Health System which serves 21 Counties, but is paid for by only Bexar County. Furthermore, I would reduce or eliminate the Univ Health System tax burden on Retired Veterans that use Veterans Hospitals, BAMC, and Wilford Hall.
- I would ask that ALL Unelected Boards be required to get ALL spending approved by elected officials. I believe taxpayers need protection from unelected, unaccountable, handpicked Boards, such as the Regional Mobility Authority (a Toll Tax Authority) and VIA (a highly subsidized mass transit authority that continues to "push" Streetcars, despite exorbitant costs and public outcry).
- I would lower the Property Tax burden. Currently the ad valorem tax rate is approx. 2.776339 per $ 100 for property owners in San Antonio (the following chart is for property taxpayers in NEISD):
Express-News: Bexar Property Values
Contribute to Rhett R. Smith for Congress
- Enter your Employer and Job Title or Principal Occupation
- Click on the Donate Button
If you have a Paypal Account and a cookie has been set - simply enter your password.
If you do not have a Paypal Account or you do not have the cookie set you will be given an opportunity to set up an account or sign-in.
- Contributions are NOT Tax-Deductible